Monday, September 8, 2014

Never Enough Time in the Day

     Well folks, it's time for another installment of stories from Shawnee YSA. I am sorry, but this is going to be rushed. I rarely feel like I have enough time to share everything I want. But here was my week in a nutshell:

     This last week we had a lesson with Lau. We talked about fasting with him in relation to his "addiction" to weed. He says God has already told him that he shouldn't be doing it. So we talked about fasting for strength from the Lord to quit. We fasted with him as well and will follow up with him today on how he feels now. The crazy thing is that he talks to EVERYONE about the church. It's changed his life for the better. He just finished reading the Book of Mormon for the 2nd time and tries giving them to his friends. He invites his friends to be baptized and to come to church. He's such a great example of how the Atonement works :)

     With the elders being gone, we had to spend some serious time organizing the area book, whiteboard, etc. It kind of effected our lessons taught this week because we weren't out as much as usual. I honestly feel like I was called to this area because of my organizational skills. Everything was a straight up mess here and I spent a LONG time getting it all in a state where we could be effective. Then mid transfer, the elders get pulled out of our ward and we have to combine it all (and we found a lot of people who had slipped through the cracks by deeply going through their things as well.) God knew I would take the time to make this area presentable so that other missionaries can work here effectively. We also had a TON of appointments cancel. It's hard not to get frustrated at other people's agency. But I'm learning :)

     We did some painting for a member from 9 Mile who is moving down the street from where we live now. He and his wife are YSA rep's for the family ward. It was fun to get out of a skirt and just work.

     This week we set up some appointments with former investigators. There's some people who were being taught, but went home for the summer and now they're back! One is Ben, who we meet with this week and I think will be a handful. But I'm sure I'll write about that lesson next week. The other is Danielle. She was on date for baptism before she left and is so excited to meet with us! She knows all of the basic stuff, she's just learning how to recognize God's answers to her prayers so that she can really feel that this is all true. She came to church yesterday and was participating in class. We made sure there were plenty of people reaching out to her. She's coming to FHE tonight and wants to meet with us weekly. I'm really excited about her :) She's so open and sincere. She's 19 and from Port Angeles,  on the west side of the state. She goes to Whitworth (which is a Presbyterian D3 University- but it's open to anyone) I have a feeling you'll be hearing a lot more about her in the future as well. We're hoping to put her on date for October 4th... doesn't that just sound like a great day to get baptized? :)

     Oh! So I saw Sister Haynes the other day and she updated me on my last area, Evergreen. Want to hear something cool? So I'm pretty sure I shared a story of how we were going to visit someone but I had a prompting to try this less active woman who we've never found at home. When we got there we met her daughter, Janelle, who is a less active who wanted to come back. Well it turns out that they're teaching her and her non member husband twice a week and they've been coming to church! It's crazy how acting on small promptings can change someones life! God knows exactly what we're doing and what we need to progress. He could do this all on His own, but I love that He allows us imperfect humans to be the means by which He answers prayers. God is great! :) Sorry for all of the smiley faces today. I just LOVE this work!!!

     Alright, so I live in Spokane. My last area I in a more suburban place, 9 Mile was rural,  but now I'm in the city. We hear police and fire engine sirens non stop. It's hard to fall asleep at night sometimes. Obviously it's nothing like Aaron's mission. But I love how Heavenly Father helps me each day. There have been a few times when I have felt the Holy Ghost prompt me to leave somewhere or not try a certain house. It's great that I'm living in tune with the spirit and able to recognize those promptings. I feel so safe with the Lord on my side. This note wasn't meant to scare you,  mom. But I just wanted to share my gratitude for being blessed with the gift of the Holy Ghost.

     I love this gospel and I know it's true! Share with me some things that you are learning in your scripture studies lately! Is anyone still studying Preach My Gospel?

     I love you all! Have a great week!

-Sister Metcalf

P day sand volleyball


Miracle text
Selfie on the balcony
 My apt
Helping paint the Saxton's house
 Driving to appointments

No comments:

Post a Comment