Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Chaos

     This last week has been crazy. I'll start with what's happened most recently and then move my way back to the beginning of the week. So yesterday, the elders who are also serving in our ward got a call from our mission president. There was an area that had to be closed temporarily because of missionaries having to leave in the middle of the transfer. So he told them that they are heading down there today and reopening that area up. Meaning that we need to get their area book and all of the information of people they have been working with and take on their teaching pool. I'm not too worried about taking the people on, we're more than capable of that. But reorganizing everything from their binder is a bit stressful- especially after we just barely finished organizing our whiteboard and area book. There's been other little things that we've been having to deal with as a result of them being pulled out, but not to worry. It will all get taken care of :) We had interviews with our mission president this week and he had mentioned to us about taking a set of missionaries out of our ward because the work isn't picking up the way he thought it would and the number of people in our mission will be dwindling soon with the waves of missionaries going home. We were thinking it would happen in the next transfer or two... not week! haha. I'm trying to not let it overwhelm me too much with our companionship not being very equally yoked... I can do hard things though. Labor Day was a busy day. We helped out with the Labor Day fun run 5k that our stake put on... that I was at last year as well! Deja vu.

     Another day of chaos was Wednesday. We had eight set appointments and we'd accidentally double booked one, so we had to go on splits for a bit. It was nice to be so busy, but we felt like we were just sprinting from place to place to get from one place to the next on time. All in all though, chaos and stress like that is just fun. :) One of our lessons that day as with Lau, our recent convert, and Skyler his friend who is not a member but wants to learn about the church. This kid is SO quiet and shy. I mean, he literally looked at the ground the entire time. I think he struggles with some self esteem issues. So it was an interesting lesson. He doesn't give more than 3 words for an answer so we didn't know if he was comprehending fully or not. Well at the end of the lesson we asked him to say the prayer and he agreed, but said he wasn't sure what to say. So we kind of go through the outline of what a prayer consists of and bow our heads and wait for him to pray... and wait... and wait... about a minute goes by before he says "I don't know what to say". So we start asking him- what are some things you're grateful for? What are some questions that you'd ask God? And we brainstorm with him and he says he's ready. So we bow our heads and wait... and wait.. 2 minutes go by this time. So we give him the pamphlet and open it to the part where it shows the outline so he can look at it while he prays. Then he says "Dear Heavenly Father... uhhh... dang it! I looked at the pamphlet and lost my train of thought!" So we sit silently for another minute or two. It was SO painful. But after about 8 minutes from when we originally asked him to say the prayer, he finally says it. Hallelujah! It was rough, but he said it :) It's so fun to help people do these completely foreign things and watch it change them.

     Update on Blayze (the random text guy living in Moscow, Idaho)! The missionaries out there went to meet with him and he brought 3 of his friends. They taught them all the Restoration and they ALL became new investigators! How cool is that?? Honestly, the more this story unfolds, the more I'm convinced that God is a God of miracles and that he knows each of us individually!

     On Friday we had a lot going on as well. One of our recent converts, Gina, who is 19 is thinking about going on a mission so she came out with us for 3 hours. I think she had a really good experience. I'm amazed at her testimony already and how much she wants to share it with others! At the end of the night we were trying a few more people. As we were walking to the house of this referral, we saw a man outside with his wife and child. We walked over and started talking to him and he just blurts out "What kind of doctrine do you have there in your hand?" And I told him it was the Book of Mormon. He just yells "Nope! I don't want to hear what you have to say! Don't try to push it on me!" So I asked him if he'd talked to Mormon missionaries before and he said no, but he didn't need to. He was being pretty rude, but I closed up the conversation on a positive note and wished him a good night. Well we walk to our referrals house and meet her. Her name is Chelsee and she's amazing! She was just so excited that we came by and was telling us all about how she wants to come closer to God and feel forgiven for her past. So I testified to her about our purpose as missionaries and of the Atonement.  She was so excited about it all and just beaming from ear to ear. She asked what the difference was between our church and other Christian churches, and I briefly went through the Restoration lesson with her emphasizing the priesthood. I invited her to be baptized and she agreed. She asked us to come back on Tuesday (tonight)! She then told us how cool it is that we go out and teach people and leave our lives behind. I testified to her of how much happiness it's brought to me and my family and how I just had to share it with others. She just looks at me and says "I can really tell that it has. You're like glowing!" ...Well as we were walking away she just blurts out, "Am I allowed to smoke weed? Because I like smoking it- like a lot. But I don't want to feel ashamed before God." So we talked to her about her body being a temple and as she keeps it clean and pure she can feel the Holy Ghost more and God can communicate with her better. Then she says, "I've been smoking it for a long time. I don't think I can quit over night, but I wanna quit now." So cool! Side note- I have a feeling I'm going to be meeting a LOT more YSA age kids in Washington with weed problems. Why the heck is it legal? Okay, so we were so excited after that meeting with Chelsee, and as we're walking back to the car we were just so happy, nothing could get us down. Well Dustin (the mean guy from earlier) whistles at us to stop and waves us over. We walk back and he starts apologizing to us and telling us that we didn't deserve it, but he was just in a bad mood. He says he'd like to listen to what we have to say and invited us to come teach his family!!! What? It was a complete 180. So we're going back tonight as well :)

     I'm running out of time but wanted to share a few more things that happened this week. One is that there is a recent convert that was baptized a month ago that we're working with, Lyndi. Her family is anti and she didn't tell them she got baptized. So we have been talking to her about doing it. She finally told them and they completely shunned her at first but she knew she did the right thing. Things are back to normal with them. I can't even imagine what that would be like! I'm so glad I have such supportive family and friends :) Thank you all!

     Also, another texting miracle! I started texting all of our less actives and trying to set up appointments with them. This girl, Megan, texts back and says "Who are you and How are you texting me right now?" I said who were were and asked to set up an appointment to meet her. She says, "yeah, you can come next week. But I'm so confused. This phone has been shut off and has no service. I don't know how you're texting me or how it's letting me respond" So I testified to her that it was because God wants her to meet with us! She replied back "That's what I think, too! See you next week!" and she gave us her real working number. How cool? This transfer has been full of phone miracles! :)

     Well, I love each and every one of you! Thank you for everything! Have a great week! And do something more to strengthen your personal conversion.

-Sister Metcalf



With Elder's Stirling and Shirk (who are being ET'd)

Putting a Book of Mormon in a "take a book, leave a book" box

soccer last p-day

Sharing a scripture on the street 



Scripture study every morning
 

No comments:

Post a Comment