Monday, September 29, 2014

A Week of Imperfection

     Well, this week was frustrating. We taught more lessons than last week, but I just didn't give it my all. I hate feeling like I didn't give it my best. Moment of honesty: I'm so exhausted all the time. It has been causing me to lose motivation to work. So as a result, I pretended I didn't see people when they were nearby, and didn't talk to everyone I could. At the end of each night I just continued to feel worse. It was a frustrating cycle. But yesterday I dug deep and I broke it. I was having an internal battle of wanting to give my all, but at the same time being exhausted/ frustrated with my situation. I read "The Consecrated Missionary" and then as I read D&C 28:16 "And thou must open thy mouth at all times, declaring my gospel with the sound of rejoicing." I felt the fire rekindle. That night as we went out, I was determined to talk to everyone! I pulled over the car for people on their porch, I veered across parking lots, and even ran (well, jogged) to one girl. We saw MIRACLES! In a few short hours we found several new potential investigators, one new investigator, and a 19 year old girl whose grandmother is LDS and she's been wanting to come to church! It made me think- If God could put that many people in our path for us to help in just a few short hours, how many people did I not get to because I was stuck inside myself? I talked with my companion very openly about how I've been feeling and we've come up with a plan, so we'll see how that goes. Either way, I will not let her actions determine my resolve to serve God with ALL of my heart, might, mind, and strength! I'm determined to not let that happen again! Thank goodness I didn't let this go on for too long.

     This week we met with Lau and he wanted to know all about missionary life. When we asked him not too long ago what he thought about a mission he said he thinks he wants to go on one. When we asked him why, he said, "I don't know what else to do." He was under the impression that you get to pick where you go... and that you still lead a regular life with a job, social life, etc. while you're out and just meet up with people to teach them about the gospel in between. We explained to him what it was really about; the 24/7 dedication, that we pay to go out, the prophet tells us where we're needed, the rules, etc. After conversing with him and answering his questions I asked him if he thought we were crazy. He said "A little bit... is it WORTH it?" Oh man! Of course it is! We both bore testimony of how great of an experience this really is. Missions are the best! :)

     The Woman's Conference was on Saturday and we went to the stake center to watch it. I love stake events because I always get to see tons of people from 9 Mile Falls there. They come over to me and tell me how much they miss me and how much I helped the ward- it boosts my ego a bit :) The best was seeing Shirley Taylor (the widow we lived with). She cries every time she sees me and gives me the biggest hugs! It's like having a grandma away from home!

     I'm running out of time, but still want to give you an update on how everyone is doing that we're working with. Tom Singleton (baptized last December) was struggling with knowing that Joseph Smith is a prophet. We've had him reading Joseph Smith-History and praying and he's feeling so much more sure about things now. He's going down to general conference and watching the Sunday Morning session. What an incredible time to receive revelation! Lyndi (baptized this June- family is anti) moved out of her parents house this week. They found her quad that she got for her baptism and threw them away. They've been terrible to her since she's told them. She has been sacrificing so much for this gospel. She's who I think of when I read "The Cost and Blessings of Discipleship" by Elder Holland. She has gone through so much, but Heavenly Father is giving her incredible spiritual experiences to keep going strong. We're meeting with her twice a week to help her out. We're also meeting with Danielle twice a week now too- once at Bishop Romney's house for dinner and once at the church. She is so solid! She said she feels so good about her baptismal date this time and isn't nervous like she was in the past. She invited her boyfriend to come to it (He's got his mission call to St. Louis- and she never told him about being baptized any of the other times). She's just been lighting up. And you can see the hope and confidence in her eyes! It's incredible! I mentioned last week a less active named Mike, who we're working with. Well he came to church yesterday! (We had SO many less actives come- it was amazing!) When we taught him on Thursday he said that he hated how short our meetings were and wishes we could stay longer. We told him that we can't stay longer because we need to see as many people as we can in a day, but he wants to meet twice a week now. He's a fun project. Have you ever heard anyone use the word pontificate in a sentence in complete seriousness? I now have. haha. He works at a smoke shop and came to church yesterday with a bracelet on that said "Down to smoke a bowl?" He has such a good heart and he's making progress :)

     Well, life as a Sister Training Leader is crazy, but it keeps things interesting. I love the opportunity to serve so many people all the time! I hope you all have a great week! I love you!

-Sister Metcalf 
 My thrift shop dress


 A giant chicken

With Alyson Dunn (a recent convert)

No comments:

Post a Comment