Wednesday, May 14, 2014

When it Rains, it Pours

     Where to start? Today we went to the temple (which is why I didn't have p-day on Monday this week). The temple is incredible and I feel so at peace when I'm there- which was MUCH needed today. I had a chance to read Breanne's email and I feel like we're going through the exact same thing right now. It's hitting me that I only have so much time left (I know, it's still a long time left, but still) and there's so much I need to improve on. I know I've made progress since I've been out here. But going on exchanges often, training other missionaries in meetings, etcetera is really humbling. I see so much more clearly what it is I can improve on. I'm grateful for it, but at the same time it's hard.
     This last week I was getting really frustrated with myself for not teaching better/ being a better missionary at this point in my mission. Then on Friday night my mission president called and told me grandpa Raiser passed away a few days ago. He let me cry for a minute and then said that grandma Metcalf passed away earlier that morning. I was not expecting to hear more bad news in that conversation. Not gonna lie. I was pretty mad at him for doing it that way. And then I was even more upset when I found out that Nathan had actually called him on Wednesday to let him know about grandpa and he waited DAYS before passing on the news. I was a mess that night and got a priesthood blessing from one of my zone leaders. The next day I got sick in the morning with some sort of stomach bug and I broke down crying. I have never felt so weak in my life. I was physically in pain and emotionally weak- it was hard. And though I know there are so many people going through worse than me, I felt that things couldn't get worse. But a few hours later we got out and went to work. That was key. As I worked and focused on helping and serving others it helped me keep my mind off of things. I'm doing just great now though! I'm focused on the work and only got sad a few nights as I was saying my prayers and praying for family. But I am so blessed to be out here at this time where I can not only focus on helping others through their trials, but also have the spirit with me constantly to strengthen me and give me comfort. I'm so blessed to have the gift of the Holy Ghost and his constant companionship. Heavenly Father has really been listening to my prayers. Alma 7:11-13 took on a new meaning to me this last week. I know that Christ has not only felt what it's like to have a bad day, but to have MY bad day. He has given me strength that I sometimes doubted He would. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have that we will all be together as a family some day. Nothing could give me more comfort than that. I know that that is only possible through Christ. I love my Savior so much!

     Mother's Day was hard- talking to Breanne and mommy. It was good talking to them though (even though it was sad not seeing anyone else). It made me so happy talking to them though! I hope everyone is traveling safe and enjoying the family time together. And I hope mom is continuing to recover from back surgery. I'm sorry you weren't able to go to grandpa's funeral. How did it work out doing FaceTime during it? Was it less complicated than when we did the group webcam for Mason's gender reveal? ;)

     Well onto some happier things in the wonderful world of Spokane missionary work! We did a lot of service this week! A lot of people are outside working in their yards and we found a sweet old man whose yard we worked on for a while. We even helped a girl push her car down the street when it died in the middle of an intersection. Poor thing. She was only in high school and so panicked. Last Saturday we helped Patrick and Stephanie move (they're the ones who were going to get married/ baptized on the 24th of May). They moved just into the next ward over which still meets in our building, so I'll still get to see them every once in a while. We helped them move while I was on exchanges. Then I went on another exchange this last week with one of the spanish sisters. It was so different. And I'm so glad I wasn't called to serve spanish speaking here! It is so hard for them to find people to teach. And a lot of the people they work with are flaky. We did a lot of finding in trailer parks. When we'd find people who spoke spanish she was basically on her own, I felt bad. I could comprehend what they were talking about enough to get the gist of it, but was in no way competent enough to say anything to them. We taught a few lessons, but the people who go to the Spanish branch speak both Spanish and  English, so we taught them in English. At the end of the night we finally had a lesson in all spanish. I was no help, but the spirit was so strong! I spent the whole time just praying in my heart for her to be able to understand this guy and be able to talk to him. That night, I'm not kidding, I dreamed in Spanish (or what in my mind was Spanish haha). It was so cool!

     A tender mercy happened on Sunday morning but I need to back track a bit. We found a former investigator in our area book who was taught a year ago who looked golden and had no reason why they stopped teaching her. So we asked a girl in the ward who was her friend to invite her to mutual (she's 18 yrs old but a senior in high school). So we talked with Lili that night at mutual, set up a church tour for the next week and felt great about it! We took her on a tour and then taught her about the Gospel of Jesus Christ (lesson #3) since she'd received lesson #1 twice already. The spirit was so strong and she was so open and honest and just sincerely seeking truth. When we asked if she'd be baptized she said she wasn't sure. We taught her the 1st half of the Plan of Salvation on Saturday night at The Skinfill's and again the spirit was so strong and she was identifying it and saying how happy she feels learning about our church. When we asked her to be baptized this time she said if she knew for sure, then she would. Sister Skinfill then bore powerful testimony to her about following the spirit and how we need to act on faith. Sunday, when Lili came to church she said she wanted to be baptized! So after church we taught her the rest of the P.O.S. and she picked May 24th to be baptized!!! Her countenance has completely changed and she's so much happier now. She has tons of family struggles but says she knows this is what she needs in her life! Lili is incredible! :)

     Well, sorry, I'm out of time. But I'll email in just a few short days. Transfer calls come this Saturday night. So we'll see what happens. I love you all!

Love, 
Sister Megan Metcalf

No comments:

Post a Comment