Monday, April 7, 2014

Whirlwind of a Week

     Oh man! This week was jam packed with so many different things happening!

     First off let's talk about transfers.... Can you believe I'm going to stay in 9 Mile Falls another transfer? ... I'm actually not. I'm going to the Evergreen ward in the Spokane Valley. THE City! Lot's of people! This will be so different. When they told me what was happening last night I teared up some because I've fallen in love with the ward and people out here, but at the same time it felt right. I know this is where I need to be going! My new companion is Sister Richardson. This will be her 3rd transfer in the area. She was actually in my "zone" in the MTC so I know her some and we've obviously been out the same amount of time. I'm excited! Sister Riddle will be staying in 9 Mile and another sister training leader will be coming out to be her companion. I'm so happy that my ward is being left is such good hands!

     On April Fool's Day we told our ward mission leader and district leader that we backed our car into a truck. They were both pretty worried... and then mad when we said we were kidding, but then obviously laughed. I totally forgot is was April 1st until the end of the night when we were in a lesson with the Hadlock's. They talked us into doing the "prank". We actually had a really powerful lesson with them about the priesthood. I was able to share some great examples of priesthood holders in my life. Brother Hadlock has decided that he wants to receive the priesthood and he's making strides! I love that family.

     On Friday night we went to visit Jimmie and Cynda. When we got there Cynda was a wreck. She couldn't stop crying. It turns out the last few months he cheated on her and got back into the whole drug dealing thing, among other things. So he's back in jail. So much for him getting baptized next year when parole is up! I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't surprised. The last few months we've barely seen him and he hasn't shown up to church in ages. Cynda said when she was talking to him on the phone from jail he said it started happening when he stopped coming to church. I attribute it to him stopping doing those things that were keeping Satan out and once he let up he was tempted right back in to his old habits. I'm not even doing this story justice (nor do I feel like I'm at liberty to disclose everything I was told). But it was nuts! And I feel terrible for his wife. We cried with her some and shared scriptures with her. I promised her that she'd receive guidance from watching conference. I hate that I don't get to follow up with her this week. Poor thing.

     We did some yard work for a lady we met this last week. She was a referral from a random street contact. Her name is Betty. She's a widow in her 60's and needed some real help in her yard. While we worked she just started talking like we were old friends. It was hilarious! First off, she has like 7 pet ducks- so there was poop all over the place. And she talked to them like they knew what she was saying. And she started telling us all about the life of Marie Osmond- like literally the life story of her. And she talked about it like they were besties and she was with her every step of the way. Maybe they are, who am I to judge? :) Well then she starts telling us all these personal details about her family members as if we know who they are. "John was in the service for 10 years" "Chris never did like any of the dogs" etc. We were like... "Is that you husband?" "No- my brother!" as if we should have known. Well, then she goes off about how her brother used to complain about her driving all the time, but not any more! Apparently after he died she had him cremated and he's been sitting in the back seat ever since... speaking of dead things... the ground was too frozen in the winter when some of her pets died so instead of burying them she has a dead bird in her freezer and rabbit in the garage. I seriously could not stop laughing! So as we're working I'm trying to work some gospel into the conversation. She mentioned how her husband died a few years back (this is the first thing she's said that hasn't been about her pets or Marie Osmond- my window of opportunity!) I say "That must have been so difficult. What helped get you through that?" She looks at me straight faced and says "My beanie babies." Uh what? I had no idea how to respond to that! She started talking about how she now has over 1000 TY beanie babies! Holy crap! Well long story short we eventually taught her a little bit about God's plan for her and how she will see her husband again in heaven. Sister Riddle gets to drop by next week and follow up :)

     I absolutely loved General Conference and hope you all were able to watch. I LOVED Elder Colbridge's talk and was so happy that some investigators were watching that session. Chris and his wife Stacey went over with their kids to watch conference at the Merrill's home. Success! I love when the members get involved in the work :) My favorite talks were Elder Holland's on Saturday morning (the spirit hit me so strong as he was testifying. This church is true!) and Elder Scott's that afternoon. And I loved Elder Ballard's on Sunday Morning. I'd better be hearing from you all about what you've studied and learned in "Preach My Gospel" in your next email.

     Well, I love you all! It's been a whirlwind of a week. I transfer on Tuesday morning to the valley and will send you my new address as soon as I know it! :)

Love,
Sister Megan Metcalf
With my Ward Mission Leader Bro. Rippy and his wife
The Abrams family
Kate Abrams (my favorite little girl) with her My Little Pony that she named "Sister Metcalf"
Peacocks again! (I'm obsessed)
Albino peacock
Russ and Christy
with Sister Wood at MLC
playing "mushball" basically softball w/ no gloves
taking advantage of the sunshine with Sister Call

No comments:

Post a Comment