Monday, April 21, 2014

9 Months

     So Breanne and I hit our 9 month mark this last week. Nine months since we entered the MTC. The funny part is though that it's not technically halfway. My release date actually puts me on a mission for 18 and a half months... so my "halfway mark" will be some time later this transfer I think. But I try not to think about it. Time is flying by too quickly!
     Well after all of that organizing my first week we decided to try and get to know our ward. So we called around and started setting up appointments to go see as many active members in the next 6 weeks as we could. It's crazy that my companion doesn't know most of the people in the ward and she's been here for 4 months.  But that's okay- every missionary does things differently. We're sharing a gospel message with them, challenging them to share their testimony/ invite someone to an activity or church by a certain date, and setting up a return date to follow up (Just like Elder Ballard would want). It's going really well so far and I feel like I'm really getting a feel for the ward. I LOVE being a missionary!

     This last week we had some ups and downs with our investigators- but we're very bold and upfront with them. First off,  Frances had a little melt down. While we were teaching her, her cat (who hasn't been bathed since maybe 2008) starts making weird noises. So Frances follows her into another room while we watch her cat just heaving and vomiting. Let me tell you, I never never seen nor heard a more disgusting thing from an animal! This cat has tumors all over it and is just on it's way out of this life. But Frances (who has really bad anxiety and PTSD) takes this as a sign or something. So she starts freaking out about how we come over too often and she didn't realize it was effecting her cat. So she said we couldn't come by for a while. We told her we'd give her a call next week and see how she was doing. We went and taught Patrick twice this week. After our lesson on Tuesday he said the closing prayer and mentioned thanks for his fiance. So after the prayer we were like "I thought you said you were married" So it turns out his fiance who is the less active just feels guilty that they're living together so she has been telling us they're married, but they're not. So we told them we were going to have a lesson on the law of chastity later in the week. When we stopped by on Saturday, Patrick was asleep so we talked to Stephanie a bit first and then had her go wake up Patrick. He came out and we had a very upfront lesson with him. At the end we told him that if he wanted to be baptized on May 10th (which he moved his date up to) that they would have to be married by May 10th. Oh man! Things got heated then. He did not like us giving him that ultimatum (but better us than his fiance, right?) It was mildly awkward with us giving marital advice... you know with all of our vast experience we sounded like experts ;) But anyways, by the end of the conversation we committed them to pray about it together. So we'll go back this next week and see what they decided. Everything else was pretty standard. We saw a few less actives and a TON of active families. 

     Saturday was really busy for us. We had appointments set with 8 people (most were investigators), which is rare. We usually have about 2 appointments set for the day and just attempt people during the rest of the time. I want to share a few things that I remember from Saturday. Our ward had a huge Easter egg hunt and we had a lot on non members and less actives there. It was fun! They had a mini petting zoo, so I'll be sending some pictures this week of that.  That afternoon we had a lesson with this kid, Christian. He's 21 so we'll have to hand him over to the Young Single Adult elders. Last Saturday we knocked on his door and taught him a bit about the Book of Mormon. We had him read Moroni's promise in Moroni 10:3-5 and he said he's already read and pray about it. When we offered him a Book of Mormon he said he'd been given one already. He's pretty leery of religion in general because of previous experiences with it, but by the end he warmed up to us. We told him we'd come back in a week to see how things went with reading and praying. So we stopped by to see him on Saturday and he came out on his porch again. He said he hadn't read or prayed, and we told him we wanted to share with him about why the Book of Mormon is so important and what it's about and then proceeded to teach him the message of the Restoration right on his porch. It was going pretty well, but he seemed a bit disinterested as we taught and asked him questions. As we recited Joseph Smith's 1st vision to him you could just see this switch in him and he was completely engaged. Right when we finished the 1st vision he says "Woah. That was powerful." We testified to him that what he was feeling was the Holy Ghost confirming to him that what we had shared was true. He then ASKED US if we could give him a Book of Mormon because he couldn't find his other one. He asked us for one! I've never had that happen. It was such an amazing lesson and the spirit was so strong! Love it :)

     Oh man, embarrassing moment of the week. So the AP's asked my companion and I to sing at their investigators baptism on Saturday night. One of the elder's out here is basically a concert pianist and we talked to him about arranging a song for us. We sang the first verse of "Come Follow Me", then the first verse of "I know that my redeemer lives", then sang the other verses of "Come Follow Me" to the tune of "I know that my redeemer lives". It was really cool. This Elder is in a different zone so we basically told him over the phone what we were trying to do and then we practiced through the song twice before the actual baptism. Well while we're singing, my eyes skip ahead a line and I start singing the wrong line, so my companion starts mumbling her line because she's way confused, so in the middle of the song I just say "sorry!" and then kept on singing. Oh my gosh. Who apologizes in the middle of a performance?! haha. It was so hard to not laugh. The rest of the song was beautiful, but I seriously felt so dumb up there! And it didn't help that there were 4 other sets of missionaries who came and brought their investigators to the baptism.

     We had Easter dinner at a families home and mostly visited active members. We shared scriptures from the Bible and Book of Mormon on Easter and shared the "Because of Him" video. I cried almost every time I watched it. It's so powerful! I hope you all had a wonderful Easter and will remember what Christ did for you YEAR ROUND!

I love you!

-Sister Megan Metcalf




 Afro Bunny
Baby Chick
The Easter Bunny doing bunny ears
In the part of Green Acre's in our ward boundaries (The snowy mountain in the background is Mount Spokane)
Dying Easter Eggs
 


My favorite eggs
I've been out for 9 months!
Traditional 9 month sister missionary picture
Sister Richardson and me having fun with our sweats

No comments:

Post a Comment