Monday, March 24, 2014

Surprise!

     Austin was baptized on Saturday! (He's the Ackaret's grandson and his brother Steven was baptized in January) I'm sure you're wondering how this all came about so fast. It was really quite a roller coaster of a week.  Tuesday night out of nowhere Austin comes up to us at mutual and says "I'm having trouble planning my baptism for this Saturday- I'm not sure what all I need to do or what time to tell people." What? We were speechless for a second. We weren't sure he was even wanting to be baptized anymore. But we pinned down a time and told him we'd take care of the rest. That kid is great! So the next night while on split's we go visit him to go over baptismal interview questions. Maybe 5 minutes after I got in the house with a woman from our ward he says "I'm sorry- I can't get baptized on Saturday". My heart just sank. Tears filled my eyes and I fought hard to keep them in. I asked him why and he said he was feeling anxious about it. We spent the next hour talking to him- his grandparents, the member and me. I guess he felt like he couldn't be perfect and since he'd been asking for forgiveness for the same sin and still making the same mistake over and over again he thought he just couldn't make that promise to God that he's be trying his best to keep the commandments the rest of his life. I guess I didn't teach him about repentance well enough! So we explained all about progress and working towards overcoming sins, etc. At the end of the night he decided he did want to be baptized on Saturday again. Man was that hard work. I was so emotionally exhausted at the end of the night! And then after that we had maybe 3 days to get everything put together for the baptism. We were visiting him every day to make sure he was ready to be baptized (we didn't want him to feel pressured at all and wanted it to be on his own time, when he felt ready) It was a bit stressful. But the baptism itself was wonderful! The spirit was so strong! Sister Riddle and I sang a duet of "Come Thou Fount" and we were accompanied by the sweet old lady we live with, Shirley Taylor. There were a lot of non members there. The whole baptism I just kept thinking about Joseph Smith and how he was only 14 years old when he first searched for his answer and prayed. The spirit kept reconfirming to me the truthfulness of Joseph Smith's account. It was really such a great service.
     On Friday we had Elder Golden of the 1st Quorum of the Seventy come speak to all of the missionaries in our area. That man is incredible. I hope he speaks in conference in a few weeks. I learned SO much from him and you could just feel the spirit the entire time. I was way bummed when his hour was up. I could have listened to him for days just expounding on simple gospel principles and showing things in a new light. Wow. You guys will really have to go through my notes one day. (because I don't have nearly enough time to write it all out)

     We taught a lesson to Chris this week (he's the flaky one) But this time we taught him AND his wife with Brother Merrill in our ward. They are so prepared! And I'm not worried about him flaking out this time because his wife is in on it too and we all know how much better women are at commitments than men ;) But I'm really so excited for them to come to church on Sunday. We're stopping by his home on Saturday evening and teaching another lesson- and making sure they're still planning on coming to church on Sunday. I have a lot of faith that he and his family are ready for this. They all said yes when we invited them to be baptized... not we just need them to sincerely investigate.

     This last week felt really long with my p-day not being until Wednesday this week. We did have a new missionary/ trainers meeting last week as well as an exchange... and one more exchange later this week. But the temple was incredible! I absolutely love the way I feel when I'm there, it makes me never want to leave. 

     Not too much else happened this week that sticks out. Most everyone else is the same. My companion and I get along so well and we teach really well together. I hope I get to second train her and stay here another transfer... I'm thinking about putting a down payment on a house out here. I've been living here long enough ;)

     Well, I love you all. Thank you for all of your emails, letters, packages, and encouragement. I have the best support group ever! :)

-Sister Megan Metcalf

p.s. I hope people are going on my blog to admire all of Jensa's hard work... and look at all of the pictures I take ;)
I love this temple
with Sister Emerson and Sister Smith from my ward
at the temple with Sister Riddle
at Austin's baptism (he's on the left Tanner Hardy is on the right)
wild peacock
selfie in the woods
Lake Spokane
The sunsets here are unreal!
weekly planning with ring pops
driving
Sister Worley, in our ward made us St. Patrick's Day treats :)

No comments:

Post a Comment