Monday, March 3, 2014

Greetings from snowy Spokane!

Hello all!

     This week was so great! It's crazy (but not surprising) how a great companion can change the work! It's so much fun with Sister Riddle. And I lucked out. She's 21 and from San Diego (actually, Vista). She's basically pre-trained. She seems very comfortable with the work and is willing to learn and work hard. She has such an upbeat personality so it makes the days go by fast and it's so enjoyable. Maybe it's just the stark contrast between her and my last companion- but I feel so blessed to have such a great companion! It's fun to train, too. To know that this missionary looks to my example in all things and that it will help shape the kind of missionary she will be.... It puts a bit of pressure on me, but it's also forcing me out of my comfort zone to do things better than I was before. I feel like I'm going to learn and grow so much from this experience! 

     So on Tuesday I dropped off Sister Bohling and picked up Sister Riddle. They make a big deal out of pairing up the new missionaries with their trainers. There were only 9 elders and 3 sisters that came in this transfer. It was so weird because when I came in we had 39 missionaries and half were sisters! And I just knew that when I saw the 3 sisters I would be put with "the tall one". Haha. We just tower over everyone! I hope it's not intimidating too much- but who am I kidding? We are. Someone even called us the twin towers the other day :)

     We've been working hard with our investigators and trying everything we can to help them progress. Russ said he wants to get baptized but he doesn't want to do it too soon. He's thinking in the summertime. So we'll see what happens there. It was SO nice to have Sister Riddle teach his lesson with me because I often felt like I was doing it alone last transfer and he is one tough cookie. He always has so many questions. We also taught all of our recent converts this week- so Gavin, Hugh, Steven, and Caity. I love getting to continue working with them. We've been doing a scripture study with Hope and Hugh each week to help them understand and apply the Book of Mormon better and it seems to be helping.

     We have dinner at a members home EVERY night of the week. It's really such a great way to get to know people and then I also don't have to cook haha. The downside is that they all go all out when we come over so every meal we have is super elaborate with all the fixings and dessert. But I love this ward so much. They're so good to us! We were invited to 2 family birthday parties this week :) Kate is turning 3 and Thomas is turning 10. Both from different families and they each begged their parents to let us come over and do dinner/cake/presents. Can you tell I haven't been ignoring the children while I've been here? haha. I can't help it. They're just so much more fun than adults ;) 

     We have a lot of less actives that we're still working with. A few of them have started coming back to church consistently and it just warms my heart to see them there and making friends! They're just as important as people who haven't heard about the gospel yet. Most of our work is with less actives, but we obviously have some investigators. We go to members homes and share messages with them and ask for referrals. We spend a minimal amount of time going door to door. It's just not super effective. But we pull over the car and talk to people we see on the street- though there's not many people out walking around in 9 Mile Falls either. So we're working at trying to find new investigators even though it's tough here.

     I figured since I have a little more time because I got through my emails quick that I'd tell you about a typical day in Nine Mile Falls for me. It starts with waking up at 6:30 am and saying prayers. Work out for about 30 minutes. Then from 7-8am we get ready, shower, eat breakfast. From 8-9am I study in the Book of Mormon, Bible, and the missionary "training handbook" called Preach my Gospel. Normally from 9-10am we'd do a companionship study together where we plan out the lessons we're going to teach tat day, but since I'm training we have 2 and a 1/2 hours instead of one hour where we practice teaching lessons and study together. So we finish studying at 11:30 am. We then take an hour for lunch break, during which I'll eat, play my ukulele, nap, play piano, read, etc. From 12:30 to 5pm we're then out and about. We're either trying to meet with people who are less active or potential investigators, during that time we'll sometimes go door to door. At 5pm we usually have an hour dinner break at a member's home and then from 6-9pm we go out and teach/ try more people. We usually have anywhere from 1-4 scheduled lessons in a day(this is such a change from when I first got out here... the work has REALLY picked up!), so the rest of the day is just stopping by and trying to catch people. Some days there's a lot of unopened doors and driving. You never know what you're going to get. From 9-9:30pm we plan out our next day, where we want to go, etc. From 9:30-10:30 it's unwind time, write in my journal, get ready for bed, etc. By 10:30 I'm pooped and in bed! Then we wake up and do it all over again. Some days we do a lot of service for other people; like shoveling snow, painting, house work, yard work. It just depends. 

     Anyways, I love you all so much and hope you have a wonderful week. I absolutely love being a missionary! I get to serve people all day and teach them about what has brought so much happiness to my life. I hope everyone is staying warm!

Love,
Sister Megan Metcalf
Saying goodbye to Sister Bohling
My 6'1" trainee, Sister Riddle
Snowy Sunday
Snow storms make it so pretty here!
Zone breakfast at the Harston's

No comments:

Post a Comment